Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day 2009


I was awoken on this glorious of holidays by "Mommy, get me a bottle." "Please?" I mumble to the small body wriggling into the bed next to me. "Mommy, get me a bottle." I dragged my happy mommy butt out of bed and got the requested bottle. I know she's almost 3 and should be done with a bottle but she's my last kid and I don't care, so leave me alone about it. I crawled back into bed, pulled the covers up, and shut my eyes. "Whimper, whine, scratch, whimper, whine." I dragged my happy mommy butt out of bed to let my Rotti out to do his business. Feeling rather smart at this early hour I decided to wait by the door knowing that as soon as I laid down, he'd want back in. Sure enough, 30 seconds later he scratched at the door. I let him in and he stepped on my foot. Had it been the little 12 pound shit dog dachshund it wouldn't have hurt. But since it was my 120 pound lap dog, it was a rather painful stomp. I crawled back into bed and attempted to fall back asleep.

Twenty minutes later I opened my eyes to see a small head two inches from my face. "Wake up, Mommy, issa bootiful day!" Hubby attempted to get her to say "Happy Mother's Day but she was in her own world and ran out to watch cartoons. After seeing the theme of the cartoons for a couple of hours she caught on and finally said, "Happy Mommie's Day, Mommy!" Awwwwww.

One of the last things I said the night before was that I wasn't doing anything on Mother's Day.

The first thing I did was make Hubby coffee. Then I did a load of dishes and wiped the counters down. Then I got on the computer and waited to see if anyone was going to offer to make me breakfast. Two hours later, my tummy rumbling, I got up and ate a piece of chocolate cake. In came Reyna my 12 year old with a sleepy "Happy Mother's Day" and several coloring pages from a Muppet coloring book. That would explain the riping noises I heard coming from her room. I told her thank you and planted my happy mommy butt back at my desk. In came Kelly the 15 year old. "What are you fixing for lunch? Are we doing anything today? I need help with my homework. Can't you just do the negatives? You didn't finish it. Here, google the answers for this." Ummmm, 1. It's Mother's Day and I'm not supposed to have to do anything and 2. I seem to recall graduating from high school several years ago so I shouldn't have to do anymore high school math.

I decided to make a big pot of French Onion soup and clean up the kitchen while it was simmering. In came Hubby to make some creation out of last night's pork. To get out of his way I abandoned the cleaning part. Kelly and I went back and forth in our usual mom vs teen banter and I too my not so happy mommy butt outside to cry and feel sorry for myself. Apparently I forgot to raise my kids to be nice to me once a year. Crap, I always forget the important stuff! At least I got lots of hugs and "Mommy, I love you's" from Carson. Such the mamma's boy!

I ate my soup and some of the pork creation, which as usual, was delicious. Why is it whenever I create something it tastes horrible? While stuffing my face I decided to catch up on The Biggest Loser. They'd all been sent home to fend for themselves then discovered they had to run a marathon. Even Ron finished it! Rrrrrr! Damn motivating and inspirational people. I changed clothes and took my happy 18 pound lighter mommy butt to the gym (AnyTime Fitness, plug plug!).

On the way to the gym I decided to call my mommy and tell her Happy Mother's Day. She asked if my kids did anything nice for me. I laughed and told her she didn't know her grandkids very well. She told me a cute conversation between my dad, Bubby, and my 15 year old nephew. Nephew didn't want to do something my sister asked him to do so apparently my sister sent her son in the direction of my dad who asked him, "Don't you rely on your mom for things?" Nephew replies, "Yes." Bubby says, "I try not to make the people I rely on mad. If I make them mad, they may not want to do the things I rely on them to do." My dad isn't one of those grandparents who lets his grandkids do whatever they want. I'm sure Nephew wasn't too pleased with Bubby after this conversation but I bet he did whatever my sister wanted him to do! My mommy told me to enjoy my workout and was glad I was doing something for me. I told her I had to go to work off the chocolate cake I'd eaten for breakfast.

The gym was packed! I'm kidding. There were about 5 other people in there and I was surprised to be the only mom...not really. I did 10 minutes on the stairmaster, some squats with the stability ball, then decided to be adventerous and try out the treadmill. After 30 minutes of walking and running-ok, it was really jogging but running in my book-my hip started bothering me. Two years ago I fell onto the side of the tub cleaning baby poop out of the water since Maisie decided to tell me she had to go potty after she went in the bath. I spent 2 weeks on the couch ordering the kids around...it was great! Anyway, I was still on a Biggest Loser motivational high so I decided to try the bike. I wound up peddaling away for 50 minutes! That was mostly because one of the guys that works at the gym sat next to me and started talking to me. Maybe this is why people bring buddies to the gym with them. I discovered I can stay on the cardio machines a lot longer when I have someone to talk to.

When I left, Chris said, "Maybe you'll go home and there will be balloons and flowers and dinner." I laughed. I pulled into the driveway and attached to the tiki post were 3 balloons. I laughed again. Maybe, just maybe......nope. I opened the door and the mess was still there with hamburger still sitting frozen on the stove. Kelly had put the balloons out for me and glued "Happy Mother's Day" on one of them with foam letters. It was sweet.

But, the greeting I received when I walked in the door made up for it all. Four kids came towards me telling me how much they missed me (maybe next time I'll work out even longer!). The best part of the day was cracking up while Maisie serenaded me with the chorus to Britney Spears' "If you seek Amy" over and over and over and over and over. I'm thinking we need to find a new radio station the next time we're in The Bus.

I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day. Some may read this and think I had a horrible day but they'd be wrong. Mine may not be a perfect family but they're my family and I love them very much. Today went exactly how I thought it would go and I'm just fine with it. Now excuse me while I go clean up the chocolate pudding that Maisie just spilled all over the floor......

Oh, and to my friend confuciusness, if I were going to make up how my Mother's Day went, it would NOT be like this. <3


rmssnowdrop@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment