Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Pancake Story


At the beginning of the Sexy by Summer contest one of my first steps was paying attention to serving sizes and calories. One morning I decided to make pancakes, or panacakes as my kids call them. I don't know about most people, but my pancakes are kind of big. Not McDonald's or IHOP big, but big according to the package directions, of which I am know aware of. I've also been known to create certain shapes like hearts, butterflies, caterpillars, the ever popular Mickey Mouse (the waffle iron is way cooler, though!) and the kid's initials. Yes, some of us are more talented than others. :)

I made the kid's pancakes, then decided to read, and follow, the serving size for Hungry Jack Complete pancakes (this means I only have to add water which makes the directions less complicated, hahaha). In case you are a new follower I feel I should inform you that I was diagnosed with Adult ADD 3 years ago which makes it difficult to read and comprehend directions (among various other problems). I was also off of Adderall at the time. I looked at the box and read that the serving size was a "3-4 inch pancake" so this is what I made myself. In the back of my mind I was thinking it was a bit odd that it was 3-4" and not 3" or 4"-- as in Hungry Jack should just pick one.

After my tiny little circle was finished, I put it on a plate and stared at it. I looked at Reyna and asked "That's it?" She shrugged as a typical tween would when their crazy mom asks them an extremely difficult question at the bright and early time of 10:30 AM. I smeared a dab of "butter" over my minuscule saucer and added a Tbsp of syrup. It took all of about 30 seconds to devour. I tried to make it last longer but the syrup was quickly absorbing into the itty bitty round dollop. Thus was the end of my
perfectly measured breakfast.

Ummmmm, perfect? Not so much. After eating my fairy sized panacake, I decided to take another look at the serving size. Yes, here comes the punchline.....

....it says "3 4-inch pancakes." Who knew misplacing a simple little dash could make such a huge difference?

This serving size makes much more sense as I sit here with a box of Hungry Jack, a tub of Parkay (I know, Kris, it's fake butter), and a bottle of Log Cabin syrup. A 1/4 cup of syrup does seem a bit much for one 3-4" pancake.


3 4-inch pancakes- 150 calories
1/4 cup syrup- 210 calories
1
Tbsp Parkay- 70 calories

Seriously shorting yourself on breakfast...priceless
(sorry, I couldn't resist)



Slacker Fattie tip- Yesterday's exercise consisted of 30 minutes on the mini-trampoline and 2 30 minutes at Club Clean.

Sexy Meal Plan
- egg whites, 1/2 c oatmeal for breakfast; a strawberry NutriGrain bar as a snack; grilled chicken breast with grilled broccoli, zucchini, and brussel sprouts for lunch; an apple for a snack; and chicken, cheddar cheese, onion, green pepper, tomato quesadillas for dinner.


Waist Watchers countdown- 12 days
Sexy by Summer countdown- 49 days

No comments:

Post a Comment