Monday, April 6, 2009

What I've learned...

The Sexy By Summer contestants had to post three things that we've learned so far in our weight loss journey.

**Update! Update! Update!**
Sorry, I was just starting this post when I got a phone call from my sister-in-law. She's been following my blog and started using her elliptical at home after being inspired by me to get off her butt. What's so important I had to stop writing and share? She joined Planet Fitness today! She used to go to a gym but injured her knee and stopped going. Now she's on her way to getting healthier and I am so proud of her. Woot! Woot!

This is what I posted:

1. I learned that if I can stick to my extremely strict meal plan and vigorous exercise schedule, I can do anything.

2. I learned to take something I loved and dearly missed, dancing, and use it to melt away pounds and inches. I sweat like a pig but love my Core Rhythm and Go Go Dancing DVD's and my iPod is always clipped to me as I boogie while doing housework.

3. I learned that I can no longer eat whatever I want and sit on my ass. Even after having five kids, I'd never had to lose the weight (go ahead, give me a dirty look). I learned that as I'm getting older, it's possible to gain 20 pounds in three months if I'm lazy.

4. I know this is more than three, but this is the most important lesson for me to have learned. I learned to stand up for myself. I've always weighed 120 lbs or less (mostly less). When I told my friends and family that I'd joined a weight loss competition I had to hear "You don't need to lose weight, you're so skinny already." But I was uncomfortable. At 140 lbs, I was fat for ME. I don't want to be "You look great for having five kids." I want to be "There's no way you've had five kids!" I have no problem repeating this to those who think I'm already skinny.

After I submitted my post, I began thinking of many other things I've learned. I thought it might make a decent post so here you go:

I've learned that I can live without Cap'n Crunch (most of the time anyway).

I've learned that I can turn to exercise instead of food when I'm having a bad day.

I've learned that working out can be fun and it's ok to sweat like a pig and look like you've spent three too many hours in the sun when you're finished.

I've learned I have an amazing support system containing family, friends, and complete strangers.

I've learned that even a $500 shopping spree can't make some women catty.

I've learned that there truly are some fantastic people in the world who won't hesitate to give someone a boost even though they are competing against them.

I've learned my kids like veggies.

I've learned that it's ok to have a bad day, even a few bad days, as long as I find a morning to start over.

I've learned it's ok to start over.

I've learned that I'm not just a mommy and a wife. I'm also a human being who needs "me" time so I can do a cardio exercise or go to the gym.

I've learned to like oatmeal.

I've learned it feels much better to put my hands on my hips and actually be able to feel my hips.

Most of all, I've learned to believe in myself. Never having to lose weight before, I didn't know how hard it was going to be. All the fat packed on pretty quickly and I wanted it off even quicker. I learned to be patient and eventually my hard work would pay off. I believe I can look the way I want myself to look.

Last September when my half sister got married, I wanted to look great in my bridesmaid dress so I started exercising. In June, I was 132 lb which was my heaviest ever. The day of the wedding I was back down to 120 lb and, having recently kicked my self esteem issues in the butt, I thought I looked hot! By December I was back at 130 lb and in January was at 140 lb. I was F-A-T!......for me. My first post ends with "Let's do this!" I now know that I can do this because I am doing this.

I've learned so much on this journey. I've also enjoyed sharing it with all of those who read my posts. I've already achieved one goal which was to inspire one person to become healthier. I'm so anxious to start hearing my sister's-in-law updates. Maybe she'll inspire someone else as well.

Slacker Fattie tip
- You don't need a lot of fancy equipment at home to get in shape. Use water bottles as dumb bells. That big bottle of laundry detergent can also be used to tone up your flabby arms. I used my kid's plastic step stool to step up and down on until I bought an exercise step. Look around your house and get creative. I bet you'll find all sorts of ways to shape up without spending a dime on over priced exercise equipment.

Sexy Meal Plan tip
- If you are serious about wanting to drop pounds, one of the first steps should be switching to water. It's amazing how many calories soda, "healthy" drinks, sports drinks, alcohol and even fruit juices contain. Don't even get me started on diet soda. Drink water, got it?

Waist Watchers Countdown- 31 days
Sexy by Summer Countdown- 64 days



No comments:

Post a Comment