Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Why do I blog?


Dig deep.

Dig down really deep.

This keeps going through my head and I figured the only way to get it out of my head was to write it down.
What does that have to do with why I blog? Because many times that's just what I have to do- dig down deep.

I started blogging as a way to track my journey with two weight loss challenges. Little by little bits and pieces of my life started creeping into my posts. Eventually, whole chunks of my heart and soul were being poured out into my computer onto RMS Snowdrop.

Why share? Who really cares about my life? Surprisingly there are people out there that care. In the beginning I didn't think anyone would. But I've been
able to help people and most importantly, make people laugh. I get positive comments from people all over the world that I have never meet and probably will never meet. They don't have to click on my posts. They do because they want to.

I don't shell out great words of wisdom or amazing get rich quick schemes. I can't tell you the best ways to lose weight (although I've tried a little). I don't have amazing pictures or delectable recipes. No hot off the presses internet tips or reviews on the latest gadgets.


All I have is me.

I read recently about a blogger who hates bloggers like me. They actually hate blogging now because of bloggers like me. They basically said that fat stay-at-home-moms are clogging up the internet with their whining about their kid
s and failed diet attempts (I'm not fat any more sucker!). We're giving the "real" or "original" bloggers a bad name. Do you want to know what my comment back was? If you don't like it, don't read it. In my opinion, 95% of bloggers have a true purpose to their blogging. They want to reach out to the world and share. Is everyone going to care about their topics? NO! But, it's their right to post anyway. I suggested to this blogger that they call themselves web journalists instead of a blogger. Find a new name for occupation.

When I started writing my blog, I constantly sought approval from my close friends and family. I kept asking if they really enjoyed my posts, if I really was a good writer. Some answered the way they thought I wanted them to, others didn't even answer. Then I realized I'm not blogging for them. They already know about my struggle to lose weight after never having had to diet before. They knew about the bullies I faced in middle and high school. They wiped away my tears when my search for my biological parents was going no where. These are the people
who cried with me when I lost my son, who have laughed at me and the goofy things I've done, the silly things my kids have said.

I blog to help the people who weren't with me through these times. The people who need to know they are not alone. Yes, with the population in the billions it is possible to feel alone. I know because I've been there. I've had times when I thought I was the only one who has experienced certain things. I now know I'm not. I want others to know that, too.


Also, I blog for me. Yeah, that's right. Me.

This is my outlet.

This is my therapy.

This is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment