Monday, August 10, 2009

I think I spend too much time on the computer


My computer is always on. This is probably not good for it or my electricity bill but, well, I'm a bit obsessive about being online. Here are a few....ok, several reasons I think I spend too much time online:

I'm a member of a website for moms. On more than one occasion, I've spent 3-4 hours straight reading and posting to discussions. I once started roll call (daily, what the hell are you supposed to be doing but are actually doing today?) at 2:00 AM because I didn't anyone else to start it before me- hey, it was my big make over day!


I check my email at least twice an hour...usually a LOT more. When I'm sick in bed I long for a lap top so I can lay down and still have computer access...no matter how bad my belly hurts or how much I'm throwing up.

I don't know how many times I've thought of something to look up...only to get on the computer and find 20 other things to look up instead...completely forgetting
why I got on in the first place. I've learned to write my thoughts down on my way to my desk.

My left elbow always feels raw from the way I type.

When I let my kids get on to play their games, I long for a lap top.


I've been known to kick my kids off so I can "check my email really quick" which usually turns in to at least 30 minutes. Fortunately they can't tell time- yet.


When I can't sleep, instead of taking something to help me sleep or reading, I hop on the computer for a bit...which can be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Shhhhhh!

Blogging has become such a big part of my life that I've learned to keep a pen and paper in my truck, purse, by the bed, in the kitchen, next to the bath tub, and in the bathroom. And for back up I always have my cell phone with the cool 'notepad' feature. At any given time there are at least 10-15 blog ideas in there.


When I fill in important events in my kid's baby books I have to refer back to my blog posts.


The biggest reason I know I spend too much time on the computer is......I'm a stay-at-home mom who is home all the time yet my house is always a mess. I'm very grateful to have such a loving and understanding Hubby....until he has no clean clothes to wear, dishes to eat off of, and can't walk through the playroom to get to the thermostat.


Here's the inspiration for this post emailed to me by bio mom:


Cleaning Poem
I asked the Lord to tell me
Why my house is such a mess.
He asked if I'd been 'computering',
And I had to answer 'yes.'
He told me to get off my fanny,
And tidy up the house.
And so I started cleaning up...
The smudges off my mouse.
I wiped and shined the topside.
That really did the trick....
I was just admiring my good work.
I didn't mean to 'click.'
But click, I did, and oops - I found
A real absorbing site
That I got SO way into it -
I was into it all night.

Nothing's changed except my mouse.
It's very, very shiny.
I guess my house will stay a mess....
While I sit here on my hiney.


PS The "office" picture is not really in my house (really, I have burgundy carpet)....but we do own that many computer towers and I have that exact same printer.

Here's the caption for the cartoon: "Whoever said 'There's a time and place for everything' never saw this closet."

So what's your opinion...do you think I spend too much time on the computer?

5 comments:

  1. There have been messy houses long before computers. The question is if you didn’t have a computer would you be cleaning house, or would you be watching TV, reading, or anything else to avoid cleaning house? I think identifying whether the computer or the cleaning is the issue is the first step to solving your dilemma and becoming a productive member of society again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavender, Don't have a lot of restraint but I do manage a little.

    Anonymous- This was posted in the Humor category on BloggersBase.com as it was meant to be humorous. I do clean my house and am a productive member of society. I just hate cleaning and love being on the computer! I also read a lot take my kids to various activities planned on the mom website. Maybe knowing now that it was meant to be funny you'll giggle...or at least smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Saw the reference to this post on Bloggersbase, and it sounded intriguing so here I am. Good post. Guess what? We're sisters!!
    Either that, or we are both afflicted with the same disease, with just a slight variation: I don't take pens and pads into the bathroom. I keep political & economics books there, so that I,uh, am productive with my time (and can be economical)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady-Light, Welcome to the RMS Snowdrop! I hope you come back for many more voyages. Haha! I love those who are productive with their time. No matter how they do it :)

    ReplyDelete