Thursday, August 27, 2009

Texting while driving can be deadly

I've been sitting on this post for about a week. Now that's it's hit big I'm wishing I hadn't procrastinated so much. No matter. This post will be for those who haven't seen this video. I need to warn you that the content in this video is very graphic.

PSA Texting and Driving 'COW' taster 001

I'll admit that I've texted while driving. I'll also admit that after seeing this video I'll never do it again. What some people don't understand is that this is a short film about what could happen if someone is texting while driving. I've heard of people who think this is a real film. Unfortunately, it is exactly what is happening all over the world. We've stopped paying attention to the fact that we're driving around in 1-4+ ton vehicles which in a sense are killing machines. We need to stop applying make up, eating a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, looking for a lost shoe in the back seat, shaving, reading newspapers, reading books, programming GPS gadgets, and now texting. Yes, I've seen all of these things while driving around Tampa.

Our lack of attention to the road is killing and severely injuring thousands and the numbers will continue to climb. Laws against talking on cell phones and texting aren't going to do much at all to stop accidents from occurring. We need to take it upon ourselves to change our behavior. We need to get back to not multi-tasking while driving. My oldest daughter will be sixteen in December. She passed the learner's permit test in April but we've yet to take her down to pick up her permit. We're scared. Not of her ability to drive and follow the rules and laws of the road but of all the other careless drivers.

Pay attention to driving. Pay attention to the road. Keep both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road. Is making that 2:45 meeting or appointment worth risking killing yourself or others around you? Think about that next time you step into your vehicle.

The change starts with you. Make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment