Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tight Scalp


Yet another one of my issues which seem to be increasing as I get older. About a year ago I noticed a spot on the front on my hairline that was sore. It felt like an ingrown hair. I yanked the hair out thinking it would feel better. Over the course of a week I'd made a nice little bald spot right in front. Great! I decided to leave it alone. A few months later all was well...except I noticed a couple of other spots on the back of my head.

This is nothing gross like some of the stories I read after researching this (some people have some serious scalp issues!). Mine is simple. The last time I got my hair cut I mentioned my problem to the hair dresser, or hair professional- whatever the politically correct term for chick-who-cuts-my-hair is. I told her that most of the hairs that I plucked out were really kinky.

Tight scalp was her immediate answer. What the hell is tight scalp? Apparently one of the reasons hair chopping chicks/dudes/other massage your scalp when they shampoo your hair is to help relax your scalp. Yes, I have to go to a salon where my hair chopper has to wash the hair, too. Maybe one day my blog will take off and I'll able to afford to go to a salon that has hair washers- I wonder what their politically correct name is.

Anyway I decided to hit up Google to see what I could find. The only thing that came up on the fir
st page that seemed relevant to me was this article on Scalp Relaxation by Lynne Chapman, Hair Editor for BellaOnline The Voice of Women:

Scalp Relaxation

Are you overwhelmed by the business of life? The stress of it causes you become tense and even your scalp becomes tight. That tight scalp inhibits circulation and is hindrance to healthy hair growth. For years hairdressers have known the best way to relieve stress and to relax the scalp. That’s why every salon visit starts with a shampoo and thorough head massage. This massage increases circulation, stimulates nerve endings, frees knots of muscle tension, relaxes connective tissue and feels great. Professionals are trained in the pattern of manipulation for the most beneficial massage, how
ever, it is a simple process to perform on yourself with almost the same relaxing and healthful results. Using the following technique will get you started on taking better care of your scalp. You can create yourself by using a good conditioner and adding a few drops of essential oil. Try using lavender oil, chamomile or jasmine for anxiety and stress relief, or use grapefruit to uplift the spirits. Be aware that the essential oils are too strong to be used alone so be sure to mix them with the conditioner. Use slow, steady movements for enhanced relaxation or vigorous massage for more energy. Rinse your hair with warm water, and then wrap the hair in a warm towel to remove about 50% of the water. Loosen the hair and apply a massage lotion. All of the manipulations will be performed with the pads of fingers and under the hair. Start by placing both hands at each side of the back of the head, fingers pointed up. Slide the fingers firmly upward until they meet at the top at the head. Next, repeat the movement, except move the fingers in one-inch rotations as they slide towards the top. Repeat this several times. Now, place your hands in the front, palms on the forehead, fingers toward the top of the head and repeat the rotating motion while sliding the fingers toward the crown. Repeat this motion several times. Next, place the fingertips at the sides of the head just above the ears. Use the same circular motion as you move your fingers toward the top of the head. Repeat several times. Finally, place the fingertips at the temples and massage in slow circular movements. Finish by firmly running the fingers of both hands from the front hairline to the back. Repeat this several times. Remove the oils with a shampoo and condition to leave both scalp and hair in top condition. There is no need to wait for a trip to the hair salon for all the therapeutic benefits of a wonderful scalp massage. All you have to do is spend a little time pampering yourself.

I'd also like to share this hair mask posted by my new friend Kelly Machbitz who was my fashion consultant on my Sexy by Summer make over day.

Homemade Hair Mask

Mix one ripe avocado with equal parts mayonnaise. Apply with fingertips from root to ends, cover with plastic shower cap and leave on 15 minutes. Wash with shampoo and rinse clean, dry and style as usual. This mask will leave your hair shiny and healthy looking.


I tried it and my hair felt amazing afterwards! Happy Home Spa-ing!

1 comment: